- 1858: Julius Schmidt is named director of the National Observatory of Athens.
- 1897: The Istanbul Treaty was signed, officially ending the Greek-Turkish war. Greece was obligated to compensate Turkey with 4 million gold coins while they also had to evacuate the territories between Mt. Olympus and Kamvounia Mountain. Under the same treaty, Crete became independent.
- 1944: Communist organisation ELAS and nationalist Organisation X battle at Theseum for control of Athens.
- 2005: Athina Roussel Onassis weds Brazilian equestrian champion Alvaro Alfonso de Miranda in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
- 2008: Panathinaikos BC defeat Zalgiris, in Kaunas, 80-69 for their 300th win in European cup competitions.
- Saint Barbara, patron saint of the Greek Artillery