Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1821: The Souliotes are forced to abandon Souli after Ali Pasha is defeated by the Sultan's forces.
- 1822: The remnants of Dramali Pasha's army are destroyed by Nikitaras at Klisoura.
- 1938: A revolt against the Ioannis Metaxas dictatorship is put down in Chania, Crete.
- 1942: Benito Mussolini arrives in Athens where he inspects his troops and holds talks with Greek officials of the occupation government.
- 1975: The trial of George Papadopoulos, Stylianos Pattakos, Nikolaos Makarezos and other Junta members commences.
- 1998: The European Court on Human Rights awards Cypriot refugee, Titina Loizidou, £640,000 from the Turkish government, for denial of use of her property in Kyrenia.
- 1996: Greek gymnast Yiannis Melissanidis wins gold in the floor exercises at the Atlanta Olympic Games.
- 1996: Greek weightlifter Kakhi Kakhiasvili wins gold in the Atlanta Olympic Games.
- 1974: Alexis Tsipras, politician.
- 450: Theodosius II, Byzantine Emperor
- 1935: Meletius Metaxakis, former Ecumenical Patriarch
- 2008: Tonis Vavatsikos, singer (won first prize at the Thessaloniki Song Festival in 1974 with his song Pios na xerei sto Vlemma tou ti piso ti krivei o Theos gia mas)
- 2020: Spyros Pomonis, footballer