Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1014: Byzantine emperor Basil II attacks the Bulgarian army at the Battle of Kleidion. He crushes the Bulgarians and takes 14,000 prisoners. Basil will proceed to blind 99 of every 100 of the prisoners, with every 100th man left with only one eye to guide the rest home.
- 1834: A revolt breaks out in Messenia in protest over the death sentences of Theodoros Kolokotronis and Dimitrios Plapoutas.
- 1913: The Battle of Kresna Gorge commences between Greece and Bulgaria during the Second Balkan War.
- 1949: 700 political prisoners are released from Makronisos after signing an affidavit of repentance.
- 1973: The Military government of Greece holds a referendum on a proposed new constitution that abolishes the monarchy. 78.4% approve according to the government-released results.
- 1999: Basketball player Panagiotis Fasoulas announces his retirement.
- 2011: Greece edges hosts China 9-8 in the women's water polo final at the Shanghai world aquatics championships.
- 1911: Archbishop Iakovos of North and South America.
- 1925: Mikis Theodorakis, music composer
- 1961: Dimitris Saravakos, football player.