41.2168/41°7'2" N lat.
25.40667/25°24'4" E long
44 m (centre)
northern part (mountain areas)
|Number of subdivisions:||-|
|Postal code:||691 00|
|Area/distance code:||11-30-25310 (0030-25310)-2 through 7|
|3-letter abbreviation:||KOM Komotini|
|Address of administration:||1 Vizyinou Sq.|
Komotini 691 00
Komotini (or Komotene Greek: Κομοτηνή) is the current capital of the Greek department of Thrace, located in the north-east of Greece, Rhodope prefecture. In the Byzantine Era, the city was known as Koumoutzina or Komotina and in the Ottoman Era, Komotini was known as Goumoutzina. It is the centre of the administrative district of East Maedonia-Thrace, the centre of the prefectural administration of Rhodope, Evros and the capital of the prefecture. Also based in the city is the Democritus University of Thrace first opened in 1973.
The city is level, built on the Thracian Valley and next to the feet of the Rodopi plateau at an altitude of 32-38m. There is little urban planning, particularly within the Old Town. Exceptional to this rule are the most recently constructed quarters. Trying to abolish the image of the oriental slum, the inhabitants of the city have been endeavouring to highlight its European image. According to the 1991 census, the city's population amounts to 40,141, number which excludes the approximately 8,000 resident students.
The city's history is practically contemporary with that of Via Egnatia, the Roman road which connected Dyrrhachium with Constantinople and grew with that trade route, firstly under the shadow of Maximianopolis and then under Ottoman occupation, while the Christian element was acutely suppressed. During the First Balkan War, Bulgarian forces capture the city, only to surrender it back to the Greek army during the Second Balkan War on July 14, 1913. The Treaty of Bucharest, however, hands the city back to Bulgaria and Greece decides to respect it. Despite the different devices schemed by the residents, in order to avoid Bulgarian occupation, the city remained in the jurisdiction of Bulgaria until the end of World War I. In 1920 Komotini is rendered to Greece after a diplomatic victory from the prime minster of Greece that time Eleftherios Venizelos and Charisios Vamvakas. The population is made up of descendants of refugees from Armenia and Greek refugees from Asia Minor.
In the heart of the city there is the park of Agia Paraskevi and the open-roof theatre which welcomes many cultural shows including politistiko kalokairi (πολιτιστικό καλοκαίρι = cultural summer), regional theatre, anoichto panepistimio (open university), etc.
Komotini has several museums including the archaeological, Byzantine and folklore museums.
The local museum is the window to the history of Komotini. You can wonder the numerous exhibits in all of Greek Thrace. From the recent exhibits, the museums features Byzantine and folklore museum and the agricultural straw objects agriculture and domestic uses in the museum, basket makers of the Romas.
- Mapquest - Komotini, street map not yet available
- Coordinates: 41° 7′ 2″ N, 25° 24′ 4″ E
- Basket knitter museums of the Romas, e-city.gr, DUTH