- 326: Saint Helen discovers the Holy Cross in Jerusalem.
- 1810: Lord Byron swims across the Hellespont in 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 1821: A large Turkish force is sent to Cyprus to prevent Cypriots from joining the Greek War of Independence.
- 1837: Foundation of the University of Athens.
- 1993: Greek-American Steven John Lalas is arrested by US authorities on charges of spying on behalf of Greece.
- 2004: Nikos Magitsis becomes the first Greek to climb Mt. Everest.
- 1929: Olympiakos' first defeat in 3 years. The team remained undefeated since Μarch 14, 1926 (30 wins and 6 draws in 36 matches, 124-42 goals)
- 1989: Makis Germanakos officiates the UEFA Cup final between Napoli and Stuttgart. The Italians win thanks to a dubious penalty
- 1998: Vitesse striker Nikos Machlas scores his 34th goal in a match against Feyenoord (2-1) becoming Europe's top scorer
- 2009: Panathinaikos defeat CSKA Moscow 73-71 and win their fith Euroleague title.
- 612: Constantine III, Byzantine emperor.
- 1887: Marika Kotopouli, stage actress.
- 1932: Odysseus Eskitzoglou, olympic sailor, gold medalist
- 1934: Georges Moustaki, composer.