Moudros is first mentioned in the 14th Century in an edict by Byzantine emperor John V Palaeologus which donated part of the village to a nearby monastery. In 1464, Moudros was occupied by the Venetians who later gave way to the Ottoman Turks.
Moudros became well-known, during the First Balkan War, as the site which Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis chose as a base for his naval operations against the Turks. In 1918, it became the site where the ceasefire between the Entente Allies and the Turks was signed.
The modern town of Moudros with its hotels, cafes and taverns, caters to tourists during the summer.