Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1913: Greek forces liberate Serres during the Second Balkan War.
- 1988: US Military Attache, Wiliam Nordeen, is assassinated by a booby-trapped car in Kifissia. The Revolutionary Organisation 17 November claim responsibility.
- 2007: Forest fires, caused by one of the worst heat waves in years, claimed the lives of two people in Thessaly.
- 2015: As thousands of Greeks queue up to withdraw their money from ATMs, the European Central Bank announces it will not increase emergency funding to Greek banks. PM Alexis Tsipras responds by calling a bank holiday of unspecified duration.
- 1925: The first ever Panathinaikos - Olympiakos soccer derby ends in a tie (3-3) at Leoforos
- 1959: PROPO includes a 13th game
- 1961: World champions FC Santos defeat AEK 3-0, as Pele scores the 400th goal of his career.
- 1970: Aris win the Greek Football Cup for the only time in their history by defeating PAOK 1-0.
- 1991: The 11th Mediterranean Games open in Greece. 3,500 athletes take part in 23 events.
- 2012: Armed robbers break into the home of PAOK coach Giorgos Donis in Kifissia and hold his children and in-laws hostage. In the ensuing gun battle with the police, one policeman and one robber are wounded.