Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 18: A major earthquake (7.0 on the Richter scale) strikes off the coast of Thasos.
- January 20: The first Greek test-tube baby - Christina Iordanidou - is born.
- February 6: The Greek Ministry of Education abolishes the blue aprons that primary school pupils were forced to wear.
- February 17: Civil wedding ceremonies are given equal status to religious ones in Greece.
- February 27: PM Andreas Papandreou visits Cyprus.
- March 6: Dimitris Michas breaks the Greek indoor record for the triple jump with 16.52m.
- March 31: Composer Vangelis Papathanasiou is awarded the Oscar for the score of "Chariots of Fire".
- April 30: The National Resistance of 1941-1944 is officially recognised by the Greek state. Many of those who took part are awarded medals and even pensions.
- June 1: Greece assumes the Presidency of the European Union.
- June 15: The Drachma is devalued by 15%.
- June 29: At the play-off soccer game that takes place in Volos, Olympiakos defeats Panathinaikos with 2-1 and wins the championship. Both teams were ranked first with the same number of points. It was the second title Olympiakos won in this same stadium.
- September 9: Anna Verouli wins gold at the European Games of Athens with a javelin throw of 70.02m.
- September 12: The European Athletics championship concludes in Athens. The games were a huge success with four world records being set and a first ever gold medal for Greece: Anna Verouli in the javelin throw.
- September 25: Sofia Sakorafa breaks the women's world record in the javelin with a throw of 74.20m.
- October 15: A 5th Century basilica is discovered in Chalkidiki.
- October 24: Dimitrios Beis is elected Mayor of Athens.
- November 2: The traffic ring is implemented for the first time in Athens in an effort to combat smog.
- January 12: Dimitris Tsiamis, athlete (triple jump)
- January 30, Antonis Georgallidis, footballer
- January 31: Elena Paparizou, singer
- February 12: Louis Tsatoumas, athlete (long jump)
- February 14: Irene Kokkinariou, athlete (3000m steeplechase)
- February 22: Dimitris Binazis, singer
- March 3: Stella Papadopoulou, athlete (hammer throw)
- March 20: Aphrodite Skafida, athlete (pole vault)