Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1821: Dimitris Papanikolis and his companions Yiannis Patatoukos and Giorgos Kalafatis burn a 76-cannon Turkish war ship in Eressos harbour, Lesbos.
- 1874: Metropolitan Procopius I is elected Archbishop of Athens.
- 1916: Fort Roupel is surrendered, by Major Ioannis Mavroudis, to German and Bulgarian forces. He was under orders to do so by the government in Athens.
- 1919: The Greek Army occupies Aydini, Asia Minor.
- 1941: The evacuation of all Allied forces from Crete is ordered.
- 1963: Grigoris Lambrakis, a leftist politician, succumbs to his injuries of May 22.
- 1956: Kostas Sfikas breaks the Greek record for the triple jump with 15.18m. The old record by Ioannis Palamiotis had stood for 17 years.
- 1966: Sportscaster Yiannis Diakoyiannis starts reporting on the England World Cup for national television carrier EIR, 3 months after its first transmission (February 23, 1966)