Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1916: Greek officers in Thessaloniki rebel against the monarchist government in Athens and form the government of the National Defence Movement.
- 1923: Italian forces bombard and occupy Corfu in retaliation for the death of a kidnapped Italian general by bandits. 20 Greeks die in the bombardment.
- 1926: A major earthquake (7.2 on the Richter scale) strikes Sparta and the surrounding area.
- 1930: The future Patriarch Athenagoras is appointed Archbishop of North and South America, a diocese deeply divided along political lines.
- 1974: An unsuccessful attempt is made on the life of Dr. Vasos Lyssaridis, a Cypriot politician.
- 1992: Greek football authorities adopt the 3 points for a win in an attempt to make football more attack-minded. The new system - an idea of the legendary BBC commentator Jimmy Hill - was first introduced in England in 1981.