41.348/41°20'53" N lat.
26.492/26°29'38" E long
about 18 m in the southeastern part (Evros river)
about 100 to 150 m
|Number of communities:||-|
|Postal code:||683 00|
|Area/distance code:||11-30-25530 (030-25530)-2|
|3-letter abbreviation:||DDM Didymoteicho|
|Address of administration:||St.|
Didymoteicho 683 00
|Website:||www.didymoteicho.gr (in Greek)|
Didymoteicho (or Didimoteixo), (Greek, Modern: Διδυμότειχο, Ancient/Katharevousa: Διδυμότειχον, meaning twin walls from didymo twin and teichos wall) is a town located in the eastern part of the prefecture of Evros. It is the seat of the municipality and the province of the same name. It is located around 12 km from Turkey and the western banks of the Evros river. In the west, much of the land is mountainous and forested, while farmlands are located in the central and the northern part. It is linked with GR-51 (Alexandroupolis - Orestiada - Edirne in Turkey and Svilengrad in Bulgaria). The town sits on a plain and located south east of Svilengrad, south of Edirne, Turkey and Orestiada, west of Uzunköprü, about 20 km north of Soufli and about 90 km north of Alexandroupolis.
- Pythio, north
- Petrades, east
Forests dominate the banks and parts of the plain. Much of the area is used for farming. The main produce is cattle, fruits and vegetables and some flowers. The hills dominate further west.
Didymoteicho was first mentioned in the 9th century. A castle was later built.
The town was sacked by the Romans in 204. In medieval times it was an important market town. Under Turkish rule it was known as Dimetoka or Demotika. The Ottoman sultan Bayezid I was born there. After the Poltava campaign King Charles XII of Sweden lived in the town (1713-1714).
In Roman times the city was known as "Kale". It was located near the Ancient Roman city of Plotinopoulis founded on the Evros River and named after Plotini the wife of the Emperor Trajan as he marched up the Evros River valley on his way to subjugating the Dacians in what is now Romania. In the 1980's a solid gold bust of the head of Trajan was found on the site of Plotinopoulis and is now in the museum at Komotini.
In 1915, Didymoteicho was sacked and looted especially along with the villages in the Malgara area by the Turks. After the 1920s, it became entirely a part of Greece. The Second World War devastated Didymoteicho. In December 2001, illegal immigrants entered Didymoteicho, they were later arrested by the police. On July 17, 2004, the Olympic flame reached Didymoteicho and was lit in the castle.
The town was considerably affected by the Evros river flooding of February 17 to 22, 2005. Flood warnings were reported at that time. It devastated much of the town on Wednesday March 2, 2005 and continued for several days. On Friday March 4, flood waters began to ebb slowly. It amounted up to 5 m or 5,000 mm of rainfall causing the river to overflow its banks. It flooded buildings, properties and stores, leaving people stranded in their homes and buildings. It was the worst flooding in nearly 50 years. The rail south of Didymoteicho and near the station were also flooded and was closed at that time.
Sites of interest
- Castle, situated in the northwestern part of town
- Didymoteicho Folklife Museum
- International Centre of Young Artists of Eastern Europe, Website
- Central Square Kentriki Plateia, next to the town hall
- Military Museum, mouseia/didimoteixou/index_en.html, also in Greek
- Municipal Theatre, on Georgios Street
The ancient city of Plutionpolis is near Didymoteicho.
Didymoteicho has a school, a lyceum, a gymnasium, churches, banks, a police station, a water tower, a post office, a library, and a square (plateia).
- Evros floods
- The Great Temenos
- Writer Dimitra Nalmpati (Nalbati) in Didymoticho
|Southwest: Lavara||Southeast: Turkey|