Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1823: Georgios Karaiskakis defeats the Turks at the Battle of Agios Vlassis.
- 1916: PM Stephanos Skouloudis protests the occupation of Kerkyra by the French.
- 1922: France supplies the Kemalist army with weapons and ammunition in the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922).
- 1939: A committee is established to organise the transfer of the remains of Andreas Kalvos from England to Greece
- 1950: The Church of Cyprus organises a referendum as to the future status of the island colony. 97% of all participants vote for Enosis with Greece.
- 2006: A new political party, ASPIDA, was officially formed in Greece with the sole purpose of representing the Roma or Gypsy community, claiming that it could garner more support than the Communist Party, which holds 12 seats in Parliament.
- 1996: PSAT awards for Best Athletes of 1995, for the first time in the presence of Kostis Stefanopoulos, president of the Hellenic republic. Pyrros Dimas becomes the first athlete after Nikos Galis to be elected three times Athlete of The Year (1992, 1993). Katerina Thanou, the national junior basketball team and Kyriakos Giannopoulos (captain of the national water polo team) receive awards.
- 2008: Greek Australian fans are maced by Victoria Police during an Australian Open match between Konstantinos Economidis and Chile's Fernando Gonzalez.