Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 2: Greek Minister of Education, Georgios Papandreou, establishes Modern Greek as a compulsory subject in Greek schools.
- January 4: The Agrarian Bank of Greece commences operations under Konstantinos Gontikas.
- January 11: Kostis Palamas becomes President of the Athens Academy.
- January 20: The Greek National Football Team record their first ever win against Yugoslavia 2-1 (Giorgos Andrianopoulos, Dinos Andrianopoulos)
- February 6: Aliki Diplarakou wins the Miss Europe beauty pageant.
- February 14: A strong earthquake (6.7 on the Richter scale) strikes Crete.
- February 20: The Greek Climbing Federation is founded.
- March 22: Prisoners in Greece go on strike demanding better food.
- March 28: The Turkish government announces that henceforth Constantinople shall be called Istanbul. Angora is officially named Ankara.
- June 1: Panathinaikos thrash Olympiakos 8-2 in their greatest triumph ever over their "eternal enemies". Before the match Olympiakos fans carried a coffin into the stadium, in which they would bury their opponents. In the riots that followed, the coffin broke to pieces.
- June 6: Jim Londos defeats Dick Shikat to win the NBA world championship of wrestling.
- June 8: A Breguet Bre 19, appropriately adapted and named «Hellas», with pilot 1st lieutenet Evangelos Papadakis and observer Colonel Christos Adamides on board, took off from Tatoi and flew around the Mediterranean sea in 20 days covering a distance of 12,000 Km.
- June 30: The Law School of the University of Thessaloniki is established.
- July 12: Greeks protest the rising unemployment rate.
- July 20: PM Eleftherios Venizelos inaugurates the underground station of Omonia Square.
- August 30: The future Patriarch Athenagoras is appointed Archbishop of North and South America, a diocese deeply divided along political lines.
- October 5: PM Eleftherios Venizelos declares the First Balkan Athletic Games open at the Kallimarmaro Stadium.
- October 11: Argyris Karayiannis breaks the Greek record in the pole vault with 3.76m.
- October 12: Georgios Zacharopoulos breaks the Greek record for the javelin throw with 63.41m.
- October 12: Nikolaos Papanikolaou breaks the Greek record for the triple jump with 14.31m.
- October 13: Aliki Diplarakou places second in the Miss Universe beauty pageant.
- October 30: The Greco-Turkish Friendship Convention (also known as the Treaty of Ankara) is signed.
- November 2: Nea Philadelphia Stadium holds its first football game a 2-2 draw between AEK and Olympiakos.
- December 7: The first international victory for the Greek National Football Team. They prevail 6-1 over Bulgaria in a game for the Balkan Cup held in Leoforos Alexandras Stadium. Tsolinas scores four (4', 50', 51', 60') goals and Messaris two (10', 15'). Both were playing for Panathinaikos FC