Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1823: The Battle of Kefalovriso takes place during the Greek War of Independence. Markos Botsaris is killed.
- 1913: The Battle of Kresna Gorge is concluded as Bulgaria surrenders during the Second Balkan War.
- 1956: Iakovos Patatsos, Charilaos Michail and Andreas Zakos are hanged by the British in the Central Jail of Lefkosia
- 1979: A medical certificate is no longer required for a wedding in Greece.
- 1980: 13 people die in the heatwave that strikes Greece.
- 1959: PAOK BC wins its first Greek basketball Championship.
- 2002: Kostas Kenteris wins gold at the Munich European Championship with a 19.85 performance at the 200m.
- 2006: Fani Halkia wins silver (54.02 sec.) in the women's 400-meter hurdles final at the European Athletics Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden. She had been favored to win the gold.
- 2006: Triple jumper Pigi Devetzi wins silver (15.05 m) at the European Athletics Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2016: Anna Korakaki wins the gold medal for Greece in the 25m pistol at the Rio Olympics. She becomes the first Greek athlete in more than a century to win two medals in the same Olympics.
- 2018: Katerina Stefanidi and Nicole Kyriakopoulou finish 1-2 in the women's pole vault at the European Athletics Championships in Berlin.