Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1886: Charilaos Trikoupis forms a government.
- 1954: Greece and Bulgaria resume diplomatic relations after 13 years.
- 1981: Arsonists burn down nearly half the forested areas of Mt. Hymettus.
- 1990: Greece recognises the state of Israel.
- 2005: Greece win the Eurovision contest for the first time thanks to Elena Paparizou's song "My Number One".
- 2014: US Vice President, John Biden, arrives in Cyprus on an official 3-day visit. This marks the first time a senior US official visits the island since Lyndon Johnson’s visit in 1962.
- 1896: Sotiris Versis breaks the Greek record in the discus throw with 29.50m.
- 1972: Sofia Sakorafa breaks the Greek record in the javelin with a throw of 41.32m.
- 427 BC: Plato, philosopher.
- 1913: Gina Bachauer, Greek pianist.
- 1945: Nikos Sismanidis, basketball player.
- 1948: Giorgos Georgiadis, athlete (hammer throw)
- 1964: Kostas Kapitanis, Cypriot international football referee.