Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1998: Greek-British pop star, George Michael, is arrested in the US on charges of performing "lewd acts".
- 2009: Patriarch Bartholomew I meets with US President Barack Obama in Istanbul.
- 1896: Leonidas Pyrgos becomes the first Greek to win an Olympic Gold Medal after defeating Frenchman Peronnet at fencing.
- 1896: Miltiades Gouskos breaks the Greek record for the shot put with 11.20m to win the silver medal in the 1896 Summer Olympics.
- 1929: The National Football Team of Greece play their first international game against Italy's B' Team. They lose 1-4.
- 1943: Col. Stefanos Sarafis becomes commander of resistance movement ELAS.
- 1999: AEK play against Partizan Belgrade, despite the NATO bombardments, to show solidarity with the Serbian people.
- 2001: Olympiakos defeat Ferencvaros 9-7 and becomes the first Greek water polo team to qualify for the Champions' Cup final four.
- 1922: Apostolos Kaldaras, composer
- 1960: Giorgos Skartados, footballer.
- 1614: El Greco, painter
- 1992: Antonis Tritsis, former Mayor of Athens.
- 2004: Konstantinos Kallias, politician
- 2005: Grigoris Bithikotsis, singer