Jump to navigation Jump to search
- April 6: Commencement of the first modern Olympic Games. By the Julian calendar, the games commenced on March 25 - the national holiday of Greece - as a symbolic gesture.
- April 7: Leonidas Pyrgos becomes the first Greek to win an Olympic Gold Medal after defeating Frenchman Peronnet at fencing.
- April 7: Miltiades Gouskos breaks the Greek record for the shot put with 11.20m to win the silver medal in the 1896 Summer Olympics.
- April 10: Spiros Loues wins the marathon in the 1896 Summer Olympics.
- April 15: Closing ceremony of the first modern Olympic Games.
- June 5: The National Company sends 86 guerrilas, under Athanasios Broufas, to support the Macedonian Struggle.
- February 5: George Dilboy, Greek-American World War I hero
- February 10: Sir John Harding, military governor of Cyprus.
- Eleni Skoura, politician