Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 428: Nestorius becomes Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1821: Patriarch Gregory V is hanged on the Central outside porte of the Patriarchate by the Turks.
- 1821: The island of Psara joins the Greek War of Independence.
- 1821: Amfissa is liberated during the Greek War of Independence.
- 1826: The Sortie of Messolonghi takes place on Palm Sunday. Out of 6,000 "besieged freemen" Greeks, only 1,300 escape.
- 1896: Spiros Loues wins the marathon in the 1896 Athens Olympics.
- 1924: The first Greek train robbery is recorded near Larisa.
- 1941: The hospital ship "Attica" is sunk off Cape Kafireas by Axis aircraft. Aboard the ship, captained by Dimitrios Meletopoulos, were several wounded soldiers.
- 2014: Greece returns to the international bond market after a four-year absence.
- 1932: Nikos Angelakis becomes the first - and so far, only - player to score six goals in a Greek League game as Aris defeat Apollon Athens 6-1.
- 1991: Panionios BC win their only Greek Cup by defeating PAOK 73-70.
- 1894: Angelos Ewert, Athens Police chief during World War II
- 1941: Archbishop Chrysostomos II of Cyprus.
- 1951: Kyriakos Onesiphorou, athlete (400m, 200m)