Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 717: Byzantine emperor Theodosius III resigns the throne after a coup by Leo the Isaurian.
- 1770: Daskaloyiannis raises the flag of revolution at Sfakia, Crete during the "Orlov Events".
- 1821: Greece declares the War of Independence against Turkey.
- 1826: Kitsos Tzavellas repels a superior Turkish force, under Kutahye, which sought to land on the isle of Klisova, across from Messolonghi.
- 1914: The sports club of Aris Thessaloniki is founded.
- 2013: Eurozone finance ministers agree terms with Cyprus for a €10 billion bailout package. Under the terms - which focus on the Popular Bank - all accounts under €100,000 will be guaranteed while those above that amount will receive a "haircut".
- 1905: Diagoras sports club is founded in Rhodes.
- 1938: The National Football Team of Greece suffer their worst defeat ever losing 11-1 to Hungary in Budapest. The half-time score was 7-0.
- 2007: Panathinaikos win the Greek Basketball Cup for the third year running by defeating AGO Rethymno 87-48
- 1771: Bishop Germanos of Patra who was to bless the Greek War of Independence on his 50th birthday.
- 1886: Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras.
- 1953: Christos Ardizoglou, footballer
- Today is the feast of the Annunciation, name day for: Evangelos (Vangelis, Vangos) and Evangelia (Vangela, Vangelio)