Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 20: A strong earthquake (6.4 on the Richter scale) strikes Magnesia and other parts of Thessaly, causing much damage.
- February 20: Theodoros Deligiannis triumphs in the Greek national elections, winning 142 seats (of 235) in the Hellenic Parliament.
- March 10: Eleftherios Venizelos declares the Cretan revolution at Therissos
- March 15: Cretan revolutionaries declare Union ("Enosis") with Greece.
- March 25: Diagoras sports club is founded in Rhodes.
- March 25: Kapetan Vardas attacks and defeats the VMRO at Hagoritsani, Macedonia
- June 13: PM Theodoros Deligiannis is assassinated by gambler Kostagerakaris in revenge for the measures he enacted against gambling establishments.
- June 21: A battle takes place between Greek guerrilas, under Ioannis Kalogerakis on the one hand and Turks and Bulgarians on the other, near Aetos, Florina. Kalogerakis is killed.
- June 22: Dimitrios Rallis is appointed Prime Minister by King George I.
- November 2: The Cretan revolt at Therissos comes to an end.
- November 8: A major earthquake (7.5 on the Richter scale) strikes Mount Athos causing much damage.
- Hieronymus, Archbishop of Athens and all Greece in the 1960s.
- Dimitrios Partsalidis, communist leader