- 1940: The Italian Air Force bombs Ioannina causing civilian casualties.
- 1967: The first, for Greece, open heart surgery procedure is successfully performed at Evangelismos Hospital in Athens
- 1977: Torrential rains cause the overflow of Kifissos and surrounding rivers. 12 people in Athens and Piraeus die from flood waters.
- 1982: The traffic ring is implemented for the first time in Athens in an effort to combat smog.
- 1991: Policeman Yiannis Varis is killed and 6 other policemen are injured by a rocket and grenade attack on a MAT bus in Exarchia, Athens. The Revolutionary Organization 17 November assumes responsibility.
- 1991: Bartholomew is elected Patriarch of Constntinople.
- 1930: Nea Philadelphia Stadium holds its first football game a 2-2 draw between AEK and Olympiakos.
- 1980: An unofficial Greek record is established in the match between Aris FC and OFI as the players of the two clubs hit the woodwork a total of 8 times!
- 1988: Nikos Anastopoulos plays his final game for the National Football Team of Greece against Romania.
- 2002: Marousi BC player, Angelos Koronios, breaks Nikos Galis' record for most points scored in the Greek A1 League.
- 2008: Demis Nikolaidis resigns as President of AEK despite his team's 2-1 victory over Asteras Tripolis.
- 1790: Georg Ludwig von Maurer, one of King Otto's three Bavarian regents.
- 1911: Odysseus Elytis, Nobel prize winning poet, born in Heraklion, Crete
- 1916: Al Campanis, Greek-American baseball executive.
- 1938: Princess Sophia of Greece the future Queen of Spain.
- 1947: Giorgos Kolokithas, basketball player.