Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 479 BC: The Battle of Plataea takes place
- 479 BC: The Battle of Mycale takes place
- 1886: A major earthquake, registering 7.5 on the Richter scale, strikes Filiatra destroying the city.
- 1912: Alexandros Karamanlakis becomes the first casualty of the Greek air force when his plane crashes in the Corinthian Gulf.
- 1998: The Greek stock market ("Sofokleous Street") closes with a 7.7% loss.
- 2003: Periklis Iakovakis breaks the Greek record for the 400m hurdles with 48.17 in the Paris World Championships.
- 2012: Panionios defeat Aris 1-0 in their Superleague opener. This match was the first in 23 years where two Greek clubs fielded no foreigners in their starting lineups.
- 1780: Constantine Oikonomos of the Oikonomoi, clergyman and theologian
- 1905: Aris Velouchiotis, communist resistance leader.
- 1905: Giorgos Theotokas, writer
- 1927: Yiannis Kanakis, footballer
- 1951: Kikis Kazamias, Cypriot politician.
- 1997: Sotiria Bellou, rebetiko singer.
- 2005: Giorgos Mouzakis, music composer
- 2011: Lykourgos Kallergis, actor, director
- 2018: Odysseus Eskitzoglou, olympic sailor, gold medalist