- February 16: Tasos Papadopoulos is elected President of Cyprus from the first round as he receives 51% of the vote. Former President, Glafkos Clerides, receives only 39%.
- February 28: Tassos Papadopoulos is sworn in as President of Cyprus.
- March 3: The trial of the arrested Revolutionary Organization 17 November members commences at Korydallos.
- March 28: Greek police put an end to the hijacking of a Turkish jet which landed at Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport. All 192 passengers and 11 crew members are safe.
- April 13: A truck crashes into a school bus near the vale of Tempe. 21 students die and over 30 are injured in this accident.
- April 16: The final documents are signed in Athens for the acceptance of ten new EU members including Cyprus.
- April 23: Greek Cypriots are allowed to visit the occupied North for the first time since 1974. Turkish Cypriots are allowed to visit the South.
- June 2: The historic Nikos Goumas Stadium is torn down.
- June 12: Future PM Kostas Karamanlis and his wife Natassa become proud parents of twin babies.
- June 17: AEK's forward Demis Nikolaidis marries singer Despina Vandi.
- July 4: The Greek government, under Prime Minister Costas Simitis, has a Cabinet reshuffle.
- July 6: Greek-Australian Mark Philippoussis loses the Wimbledon final to Roger Federer.
- August 14: The island of Lefkada is rocked by a powerful earthquake (6.4 on the Richter scale).
- August 20: The president of Panellinios GC Minos Kiriakou becomes the first Greek to be elected in the IAAF Council.
- August 27: Periklis Iakovakis breaks the Greek record for the 400m hurdles with 48.17 in the Paris World Championships.
- August 31: Dusan Bajevic reaches 300 appearances in AEK's bench against Ionikos and becomes the coach with the longest service in one team, with a total of 194 wins, 62 draws and 44 losses.
- October 11: A pair of Siamese twins from Thessaloniki are successfully separated in Rome.
- October 11: Greece defeat N. Ireland 1-0 and qualify for the finals of Euro 2004.
- December 17: The trial of the Revolutionary Organisation 17 November is completed as sentences are pronounced against the guilty.