- 1901: Archaeologist Ch. Tsountas announces the discovery of a neolithic settlement in Sesklo, near Volos.
- 1909: The Great Powers demand that Turkey negotiates the Cretan matter only with themselves and not Greece.
- 1944: German troops execute 148 Greeks in Kokkinia, Piraeus.
- 1999: A powerful earthquake (6.6 on the Richter scale) causes extensive damage to Izmit (Nicomedia) Turkey. Greek rescue units will be among the first on the scene. A political rapprochement between the countries will follow.
- 2007: PM Costas Karamanlis formally requests that President Karolos Papoulias dissolve Parliament and proclaim general elections.