- 1833: The Church of Greece declares itself independent of Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1933: A strong earthquake (6.6 on the Richter scale) strikes Kos, killing 200 persons.
- 1949: A powerful earthquake (6.7 on the Richter scale) strikes the island of Chios.
- 1974: The military government in Greece collapses and former prime minister Constantine Karamanlis is invited to return.
- 1974: Nikos Sampson, junta-appointed President of Cyprus resigns and is replaced by Parliament President Glafkos Clerides.
- 2002: 37-year old teacher, Konstantinos Telios, surrenders to the police in Thessaloniki as a member of the Revolutionary Organisation 17 November.
- 2018: Wildfires in Mati and Rafina (western Attica) claim the lives of 100 people.
- 1949: The Cyprus National Football Team play their first international: a 3-0 loss to Israel in Tel-Aviv.
- 1995: Christos Pallakis breaks the Greek record in the pole vault with 5.56m.
- 2017: Greece defeat Israel 65-56 to lift the European Under-20 basketball championship