Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1430: The Turks, under Murad II, capture Thessaloniki.
- 1821: Livadeia joins the War of Independence under Athanasios Diakos.
- 1864: The Ionian Islands become part of Greece.
- 1919: The last of the Greek forces cross the Dniester River into Bessarabia, ending the Ukraine Expedition.
- 1941: The Battle of Cape Matapan (Cape Tainaro) takes place during World War II.
- 1956: Dorotheus is elected Archbishop of Athens and all Greece.
- 1993: George Rallis resigns from the Greek Parliament in protest over the government's handling of the FYROM problem.
- 1996: The Cyprus Stock Exchange commences operations.
- 2007: A 25-year old fan is killed during riots in Athens, prior to a women's volleyball game between Panathinaikos and Olympiakos.
- 1870: Pavlos Melas, hero of the Macedonian Struggle
- 1926: Kostas Virvos, songwriter.
- 1929: Voula Palla, singer.
- 1943: Vangelis Papathanasiou, composer.
- 1960: Marina Sirtis, Greek-British actress.
- 1965: Voula Patoulidou, athlete.
- 1965: Foto Strakosha, footballer
- 1983: Stathis Aloneftis, footballer