Jump to navigation Jump to search
- January 11: A strong earthquake, measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale, rattles Cyprus.
- January 19: Greece receives the first six Rafale fighter jets from France.
- January 24: Snowstorm Elpida sweeps across much of Greece leaving many motorists stranded.
- February 18: 280 passengers and crew members are rescued from the ferry boat "Euroferry Olympia" which went up in flames just off the coast of Kerkyra.
- February 24: Israeli president Yitzhak Herzog visits Greece and has talks with his Greek counterpart Katerina Sakellaropoulou.
- March 13: PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis meets Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in Istanbul, in a relaxed atmosphere.
- March 18: Greek long jumper Miltos Tentoglou wins gold at the indoor world championships in Belgrade. His 8.55m jump is a new Greek indoor record.
- April 22: Standard & Poor’s upgrades Greece’s credit rating from ‘BB’ to ‘BB+’ with a positive outlook.
- May 16: PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis visits Washington and meets with US President Joe Biden.
- May 17: PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis addresses a joint session of the US Congress - the first Greek leader to ever do so.
- May 27: Iran seizes two Greek tankers in the Persian Gulf.
- July 16: A Ukrainian Antonov jet, loaded with weapons, crashes outside Palaiochori, Kavala prefecture.
- October 3: AEK inaugurate their new OPAP Arena home with a 4-1 victory over Ionikos.
- October 15: Flash floods in Crete cause the death of two people.
- November 5: Turkish authorities detain Greek regional governor Apostolos Tzitzikostas who arrived in Smyrna to preside over the 13th plenary session of the Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly.
- February 3: Christos Sartzetakis, former president of Greece.
- February 16: Vasilis Botinos, footballer
- February 25: Dimitris Tsovolas, politician, cabinet minister
- May 1: Ivica Osim, former coach of Panathinaikos FC.
- May 17: Vangelis Papathanasiou, musician and composer
- May 29: Dakis, pop singer
- June 10: Billy Bingham, football coach who worked for PAOK and the National Football Team of Greece.
- June 19: Thales Tsirimokos, footballer
- September 13: Kostas Kazakos, actor
- September 14: Irene Papas, actress
- September 18: Martha Karayianni, actress
- October 1: Stamatis Kokotas, singer
- October 13: Stavros Sarafis, footballer
- October 14: Alexandros Nikolaidis, tae kwon do athlete