Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1453: Turkish ships enter the Golden Horn over land to tighten the noose on besieged Constantinople.
- 1821: The Battle of Alamana takes place during the Greek War of Independence.
- 1822: Turkish forces take Naousa. They destroy the city and several surrounding villages.
- 1906: The 1906 Athens "Olympiad" commences. This competition was outside the Olympic Games' four-year cycle and was organised in order to revive the Games which were in danger of dying out after the 1904 St Louis circus-like flop.
- 1948: A strong earthquake (6.5 on the Richter scale) destroys much of Lefkada.
- 1980: Soviet cosmonaut, Valentina Tereshkova, visits Athens.
- 1988: Dimitris Christofias is elected Secretary General of AKEL, succeeding Ezekias Papaioannou who died earlier in the month.
- 1956: Greece lose to Italy's seconds 7-1 in a Mediterranean Cup game played in Naples.
- 1973: League leaders PAOK are stunned 5-3 at home by Panachaiki. The loss dropped the Thessaloniki club into 2nd place and ended up costing them the championship.