Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1867: King George I of Greece marries Princess Olga of Russia in St Petersburg.
- 1902: German archaeologist, Rudolf Herzog, announces he has found the ancient Asklepieion on the island of Kos.
- 1982: A 5th Century basilica is discovered in Chalkidiki.
- 1969: The Greek television covers for the first time a football match held in Greece. The National Football Team beat Switzerland 4-1 for the 1970 World Cup qualifying round. Giorgos Koudas, Vasilis Botinos (2) and Giorgos Sideris score the goals.
- 1971: Giorgos Georgiadis, breaks the Greek record in the hammer throw with 68.76m, winning the gold medal in the Mediterranean Games.
- 1980: Greece defeat Denmark 1-0 in Copenhagen thanks to a goal by Dinos Kouis. The man of the match is Greek goalkeeper Nikos Sarganis who preserves the victory and earns the nickname "phantom" from the Danish press.