Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1822: The massacre of Chios takes place during the Greek War of Independence. An estimated 100,000 persons are killed or sold into slavery.
- 1911: A French military delegation under Gen. Eydoux, arrives in Greece. Its task is to reform the Hellenic Army.
- 1922: During the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922), the Sultan's army join forces with the Kemalists.
- 1926: The law prohibiting short skirts is abolished in Greece.
- 1946: The first post-WW II elections are held in Greece. Stylianos Gonatas' Laiko Komma emerges victorious. The elections were boycotted by the Communist Party of Greece.
- 1946: Communist forces attack Litochoro starting the 3rd phase of the Greek Civil War.
- 1947: Brig Gen A.S. Parker transfers military command of the Dodecanese islands to Vice Admiral Pericles Ioannidis of the Hellenic Navy.
- 1965: A strong earthquake (6.8 on the Richter scale) strikes Agrinio and the surrounding area.
- 1982: Composer Vangelis Papathanasiou is awarded the Oscar for the score of "Chariots of Fire".
- 2000: An era comes to an end as coach Eugen Gerard quits OFI FC after 15 years at the helm.
- 2007: Greek authorities suspend all team matches until April 13, following the death of a fan in a pre-arranged battle between rival club supporters.