- January 16: Basketball referee Stelios Simeonidis retires after 27 years
- January 16: Nikos Dabizas scores his 5th goal (Newcastle- Southampton) becoming the first Newcastle defender since 1893 to score in 2 consecutive games
- January 22: Calliope Ouzouni becomes the first Greek female shot put athlete to throw the shot beyond 19m (19.03m) improving her own record (18.12m on January 26, 1997)
- January 29: Marina Varsamidou smashes Christina Panagou's 13 year old 400m indoors record with 53.54
- February 4: Nine years after his death, Symeon Mavroskoufis becomes the first Greek to enter the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was one of the 8 representatives who signed FIBA's founding declaration in May 1932.
- February 7: The daily sports journal "Filathlos" (Φίλαθλος) is first published with Yiannis Tragas as the editor.
- February 20: Nikos Kaklamanakis wins the gold medal in Mistral World Championships at Mar del Plata, Argentina overcoming Aaron McIntosh of N.Zealand and Argentinian Carlos Espinola.
- February 21: Coach Vangelis Roupakas leads Barcelona to their first Spanish Water Polo Cup. He becomes the second Greek coach after Yiannis Yiannouris (Pescara) to win a title abroad.
- February 22: Panathinaikos qualify for women's European Volleyball Cup final four for the second time in their history after beating Sherkashi 3-0
- March 3: Olympiakos face Ethnikos at the Greek water polo cup final for the first time in 44 years. Ethnikos win 12-11 in overtime
- March 5: Demosthenes Tampakos wins the gold medal in rings (9.750 points) at Moscow international meeting
- March 31: An era comes to an end as coach Eugen Gerard quits OFI FC after 15 years at the helm.
- April 2: AEK defeat Panathinaikos 59-57 to win the Greek Basketball Cup.
- April 11: AEK defeat Kinder Bologna 83-76 in Lausanne to win the Saporta Cup.
- April 16: Spyros Kyprianou announces he is stepping down as leader of the Democratic Party of Cyprus.
- April 20: Panathinaikos defeat Maccabi 73-67 and win the Euroleague for the second time in their history.
- May 7: Greece ranks third at the European Tae Kwon Do championships in Patra, behind Turkey and Spain. Michalis Mouroutsos (58kgr), Giorgos Ionas (67kgr) and Elli Mystakidou (72kgr) win the gold medal, while Morfo Drossidou (67kgr), Kalliopi Papaioannou (63kgr) and Michalis Kotsopoulos (84kgr) the bronze.
- May 10: Ionikos play for the first time in a Greek Cup final. They lose to AEK 3-0
- May 17: Stephen Saunders, the British defense attache is murdered by the Revolutionary Organisation 17 November while stopped in traffic in Filothei.
- July 9: Alexandros Papadimitriou become the first Greek hammer thrower to break the 80m barrier (80.45m).
- July 9: Greek-American Pete Sampras wins Wimbledon and sets a new record with 13 Grand Slam titles.
- July 17: Nikos Boudouris, the first Greek basketball player to have won all 3 European titles, signs with Olympiakos becoming the third player of Panathinaikos (alongside with Radja and Economou) to join Olympiakos.
- August 3: The Mistral World Juniors Championships close at Korthi, Andros. Byron Kokkalakis wins 2 gold medals. Alexis Prappas takes third place. In the veterans' category (over 40 years old) Thanos Sakkas wins the gold medal.
- September 23: Pyrros Dimas wins gold in weightlifting at the Sydney Olympiad. It is the third consecutive Olympiad that Dimas wins gold, a feat accomplished previously only by Naim Suleimanoglu.
- September 24: Kakhi Kakhiashvili wins gold in wieghtlifting at the Sydney Olympiad. It is the third consecutive gold medal for the Georgian-born Greek, a feat accomplished only by Naim Suleymanoglu and Pyrros Dimas.
- September 24: Demosthenes Tambakos wins silver in gymnastics at the Sydney Olympiad.
- September 26: Passenger ship "Express Samina" sinks off the coast of Paros. 80 persons are drowned.
- September 27: Anastasia Kelesidou wins silver at the Sydney Olympiad in the discus throw.
- September 27: Michalis Mouroutsos wins gold at the Sydney Olympiad in Tae kwon-do.
- September 28: Kostas Kenteris wins the 200m race at the Sydney Olympic Games with a 20.09 performance.
- September 30: Mirela Manjani wins silver in the javelin throw at the Sydney Olympiad.
- October 7: Tasos Papadopoulos succeeds Spyros Kyprianou as leader of the Democratic Party of Cyprus.
- October 16: The new Euroleague Championship kicks off as Real Madrid defeat Olympiakos 75-73 in its inaugural game.
- December 14: Dimitris Avramopoulos, mayor of Athens, announces the forming of the Movement of Free Citizens (Greek: Κίνημα Ελευθέρων Πολιτών, ΚΕΠ), also known by its acronym KEP.
- January 4: Spiros Markezinis, economist, politician and historian
- January 22: Nikos Koutsalexis, basketball player
- July 10: Michalis Maramis, discus champion and one of the leading Greek athletes in the 60s, dies of cancer