- 775: Leo IV ascends to the throne of the Byzantine empire.
- 1828: Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias establishes the Post Office of Greece.
- 1922: Greek soldiers under Stylianos Gonatas and Nikolaos Plastiras, as well as sailors under Dimitrios Fokas, rebel against and overthrow the Athens government which they considered responsible for the Asia Minor Disaster.
- 1927: The independent Piraeus Harbour Organisation (Organismos Limenos Piraios - OLP) is established.
- 1939: Radio BBC broadcasts in Greece for the first time.
- 1947: Cyprus Airways is established as a joint venture between the colonial Government of Cyprus, BEA and private interests.
- 1972: Maroula Lambrou breaks the Greek women's record in the long jump with a jump of 6.00m.
- 2000: Kakhi Kakhiashvili wins gold in wieghtlifting at the Sydney Olympiad. It is the third consecutive gold medal for the Georgian-born Greek, a feat accomplished only by Naim Suleymanoglu and Pyrros Dimas.
- 2000: Demosthenes Tambakos wins silver in gymnastics at the Sydney Olympiad.
- 1924: Voula Zoumboulaki, actress.
- 1932: Markos Drakos, EOKA fighter.
- 1962: Nia Vardalos, Greek-Canadian actress and screenwriter.