- 1042: Byzantine emperor, Michael V, is deposed by his mother and aunt.
- 1453: Four Byzantine ships break through the Ottoman fleet to supply besieged Constantinople.
- 1914: Louis Tikas, Greek-American labour organiser, is slain in the "Ludlow Massacre"
- 1922: The Italians sign a separate treaty with the Kemalists, agreeing to withdraw from Asia Minor. Their zone of occupation had been directly south of the Greek zone.
- 1946: Stelios Kyriakidis wins the Boston Marathon with a record-breaking time of 2hr 29m 27s. His record will stand until the late 1960s. After finishing the race, Kyriakidis comments to the US media: "Please, don't forget my country!"
- 1961: Father Kosmas Aitolos is proclaimed a saint by the Eastern Orthodox Church.
- 1963: Queen Frederika visits England where she will become the target of demonstrators.
- 2008: Strawberry farmers clash with their workers in Nea Manolada, Elis.
- 2012: A court in Greece finds four officials of Helios Airways guilty of manslaughter through negligence for the 2005 Helios Airways Flight 522 disaster.
- 2015: The Golden Dawn trial commences at Korydallos.
- 1926: PAOK was founded.
- 1958: Giorgos Darivas plays his last game for Olympiakos.
- 2000: Panathinaikos defeat Maccabi 73-67 and win the Euroleague for the second time in their history.
- 2008: Rivaldo plays his last game (AEK-Asteras Tripolis 2-0) in the Greek Super League - he scored the first goal.
- 2011: Despite a 76-68 victory over Panionios, AEK BC are relegated to the A2 Division for the first time in their illustrious history.
- 1877: Sir Herbert Richmond Palmer, colonial governor of Cyprus in the 1930s.
- 1944: Yiannis Gaitatzis, football player.
- 1952: Louka Katseli, politician
- 1914: Louis Tikas, Greek-American labour organiser.
- 1959: Manolis Triantafyllidis, linguistic expert and Demotic language advocate.
- 1993: Timos Perlegas, actor
- 1997: Stamatis Polenakis, cartoonist
- 1999: Nikos Rizos, actor
- 2009: Beata Asimakopoulou, actress
- 2015: Zoe Zagoraiou, singer - partner of her husband Spyros Zagoraios