Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1821: Greeks capture Tripolis during the War of Independence against Turkey
- 1844: The Theological School of Chalki is established.
- 1863: The Parliament of the Ionian Islands votes for Union with Greece.
- 1928: Italy and Greece sign a "Neutrality, Accordance and Judicial Resolution Pact".
- 1955: Markos Drakos and 15 other EOKA members escape from Kerynia castle.
- 1995: Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I visits Patmos as part of the celebration of the 1,900 anniversary of the writing of the Book of Revelation by the Evangelist John.
- 1959: Apollon Athens set a record as they demolish PAO Nea Melandia 23-0 for the Greek Football Cup. Savvas Papazoglou scores 10 goals which still stands as a record in Greek football for a competitive game.
- 2000: Pyrros Dimas wins gold in weightlifting at the Sydney Olympiad. It is the third consecutive Olympiad that Dimas wins gold, a feat accomplished previously only by Naim Suleimanoglu.