Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1822: The Holy Alliance denounces the Greek Revolution, considering it audacious and clumsy.
- 1943: Elias Venezis' book "Aeolian Land" ("Αιολική Γη") is published.
- 1955: The foundations for the Aspropyrgos Refinery are set.
- 1955: Cyprus governor, Sir John Harding, outlaws the AKEL party.
- 1959: US President Dwight D. Eisenhower visits Athens.
- 1976: The terrorist group 17 November assassinates Evangelos Mallios, a police officer who had been discharged after torturing prisoners during the Junta.
- 2000: Dimitris Avramopoulos, mayor of Athens, announces the forming of the Movement of Free Citizens (Greek: Κίνημα Ελευθέρων Πολιτών, ΚΕΠ), also known by its acronym KEP.
- 2010: The eighth edition of the Match Against Poverty is held in Greece. Zidane and Ronaldo's All-Stars draw 2-2 against Olympiakos with the proceeds going to combat poverty in Haiti and Pakistan.
- 1775: Thomas Cochrane, Admiral during the Greek War of Independence
- 1883: Manolis Kalomiris, music composer.
- 1927: Karolos Fix, industrialist.
- 1901: King Paul of Greece.
- 1911: Georgios Ivanof, athlete, resistance fighter.
- 1943: Zoe Laskari, actress.
- 1953: Evangelos Meimarakis, politician.