- January 4: PAOK thrash Olympiakos 4-0 at Karaiskaki Stadium. Goals scored by Koudas (2), Terzanidis and Guerino.
- January 20: PSAP is founded. Mimis Domazos serves as its first president.
- March 3: Tasos Mitropoulos makes his Alpha Ethniki debut with Ethnikos Piraeus. His career will end 22 years later.
- May 6: Vasilis Chatzipanagis plays wearing the Greek National Football Team shirt in a friendly game against Poland - Greece wins 1-0. This was his one and only game playing for Greece.
- May 12: The Democratic Party of Cyprus (DI.KO.) is founded in Cyprus by Spiros Kyprianou.
- May 23: After defeating Ethnikos Piraeus 4-0 away, PAOK win their first ever football championship.
- June 9: Vasilis Chatzipanagis scores for Iraklis directly from the corner kick defeating Olympiacos with 3-1. "Vasia" will score in the 1980s a total of 6 goals from the corner point.
- June 18: AEK acquire Thomas Mavros from Panionios for 4 million drachmas and future considerations (gate receipts from 6 friendlies).
- July 1: Apostolos Kathiniotis breaks the Greek record in the triple jump with 16.61m.
- July 4: The Democratic Rally Party of Cyprus is founded by Glafkos Clerides.
- July 10: Greek Cypriot Kostas Georgiou, better known as "Colonel Callan", is executed by a firing squad for war crimes during the Angolan civil war.
- July 27: Greek Cypriot, Stavros Sykopetritis, attempts to assassinate Bulent Ecevit in New York City. Ecevit was the Turkish PM who ordered the invasion of Cyprus two years earlier.
- July 31: Prime minister Konstantinos Karamanlis, through a letter handed by Epaminondas Petralias to IOC's chairman Lord Killanin, suggests that the Olympics should permanently take place in Greece. The IOC will not adopt his point of view
- August 6: Turkish ship "Sismik" violates Greek territorial waters.
- September 2: ET3 broadcasts for the first time through an antenna which is set on the Kiosk 8 of the International Thessaloniki Fair with Terence Quick being in the studios
- September 5: Cyprus holds its third parliamentary elections.
- September 15: AEK kick off their UEFA Cup campaign with a 2-0 victory over Dinamo Moscow. They will eventually reach the semi-finals of the Cup for the first time in their history.
- November 3: AEK defeat Derby County 3-2, in England, and advance to the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup.
- November 23: An Olympic Airlines VS-11 plane crashes near Kozani with 46 passengers and a crew of four on board. There are no survivors.
- December 8: AEK advance to the quarterfinals of the UEFA Cup, on away goals, despite a 3-1 loss to Red Star Belgrade.
- December 14: The terrorist group 17 November assassinates Evangelos Mallios, a police officer who had been discharged after torturing prisoners during the Junta.
- January 1: Efthimios Rentzias, basketball player
- January 3: Angelos Basinas, footballer.
- January 31: Traianos Dellas, footballer
- November 7: Mark Philippoussis, Greek Australian tennis player
- November 7: Angelos Pavlakakis, athlete (100m)
- November 12: Demosthenes Tampakos, gymnast
- November 19: Stelios Venetidis, footballer
- November 29: Michalis Kakiouzis, basketball player
- December 21: Mirela Manjani, athlete (javelin thrower)
- December 23: Dimitris Mavrogenidis, footballer.
- December 27: Nikos Georgeas, footballer