- 1961: Maria Callas performs in the ancient theatre of Epidaurus in the role of Medea.
- 1964: The Cypriot National Guard attacks the Turkish-Cypriot village of Kokkina after reports that men and weapons were being smuggled there.
- 1974: Despite the ceasefire in effect, Turkish troops assault and take Lapithos and Karavas.
- 1976: Turkish ship "Sismik" violates Greek territorial waters.
- 1983: A powerful earthquake (6.8 on the Richter scale) strikes Lemnos and the surrounding area.
- 1972: Kyriakos Onesiphorou breaks the Greek record for the 400m with 46.6.
- 1992: Voula Patoulidou wins gold in the women's 100m hurdles at the Barcelona Olympic Games. Her comment after the race is: "For Greece, damn it!"
- 1997: Greece win the 37th CISM football championship, defeating Italy 1-0 in the final game (55' Lyberopoulos pen).
- 2012: Pavlos Kontides wins a silver medal in the men's Laser class Olympic sailing marking the very first time that Cyprus won an Olympics medal of any kind.