37.561/37°33'44' N lat.
22.8065/22°48'26' E long
about 300 to 400 m
|Postal code:||211 00|
|Area/distance code:||11-30-27520 (030-27520)-2|
|3-letter abbreviation:||NAF Nafplio|
|Address of administration:||Trion Navarchon Square|
Nafplion 211 00
Nafplion (Ναύπλιο; is a city on the Peloponnesus in Greece. The town was the capital of Greece from 1829 to 1834 and is the place where Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first president of the modern Greek republic was assassinated. Nafplio is also the capital of the prefecture of Argolis and the province of Nafplion. The population of the city is ranked second in the prefecture after Argos.
Names for Nafplion
The name of the town in Greek is Ναύπλιο or, and in Ancient Greek Ναύπλιον (thus the transliteration Nafplion). As is the case with many Greek names, there is more than one possible Latin transliteration. Currently, the most commonly used English spelling is Nafplion (or sometimes Nafplio like the Modern Greek way of saying it).
Many sources, especially those dealing with the ancient city, refer to it by its Latin name of Nauplion. In other languages it is known variously as Nauplia, Navplion, Nauplio, Nafplion and Anapli. These names would have been current in English during the periods of Venetian and Ottoman domination. In Italian, Nafplion is known as Napoli di Romania, the last two words referring to the ancient name ("Romania") formerly used to define those territories inhabited by adherants to the Greek Orthodox faith, and serving to distinguish the town from the other Napoli (i.e. Naples) in Italy.
Nafplion is situated on the Argolic Gulf in the northeast Peloponnesus. Most of the old town is on a peninsula jutting into the gulf; this peninsula forms a naturally protected bay that is enhanced by the addition of man-made moles.
History of Nafplion
The area surrounding Nafplio has been inhabited since ancient times though little sign of this remains within the town. The town has been a stronghold at several times in history. The first of the visible fortification was built by the Byzantines. It was subsequently occupied by French crusaders, then in 1377 the Venetians arrived and, towards the end of the 15th century built the Castle of Bourtzi. After this, the city was captured by the Turks, then when they finally returned in 1685 the Venetians built their final castle, which was in fact last major construction of the Venetian empire overseas.
During the War of Independence with Turkey, Nafplio was considered a stronghold and was besieged for a whole year by Kolokotronis who, captured it and then later was imprisoned. After independence, Nafplio became the capital of the newly independent Greece from 1829 till 1834 after which the capital was moved to Athens. It was during this period of time, in 1831, that Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias was assassinated outside St Spyridon church.
Tourism popped up slowly in the 1960s but not as much as other parts of Greece.
Nafplio is a port, with fishing and transport ongoing, although the primary source of local employment currently is tourism with two beaches on the other side of the peninsula from the main body of the town and a large amount of local accommodation.
Sites of Interest and Others
Nafplion has schools, lyceums, gymnasia, churches, banks, a police station, a water tower, a post office, a junior football team (Pannafpliakos), and a square (platia). There is now a railway station with daily trains from/to Athens (OSE).
Sources and links
- Greece, the Rough Guide. Mark Ellingham, Marc Dubin, Natania Jansz and Joh Fisher, Published by Rough Guides 1995, ISBN 1-85828-131-8,
- GTP - Nafplion municipality
- Nafplion guide for visitors
|North: Nea Tiryntha|
|West: Argolic Gulf
|South: Argolic Gulf||Southeast: Asini|