The castle of Palamidi lies on a high hill (216 metres above sea level) to the east of Akronafplia in the town of Nafplio. The brain-child of Gen. Francesco Morosini, it was first built by the Governor Grimani during the second Venetian occupation of the area (1686-1715). It is a typical baroque fortress, based on the plans of the engineers Giaxich and Lasalle. It consists of eight towers connected by walls and can be reached from Nafplio, on foot, through 999 steps.
In 1715 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their control until November 30, 1821, when it was liberated by the Greeks.
In addition it also served as the prison of Kolokotronis. One of the bastions, the so-called "Miltiades" was used as the prison cell of Theodoros Kolokotronis, a hero of the Greek Revolution.
A portion of content for this article is credited to Wikipedia. Content under GNU Free Documentation License(GFDL)