- 1839: The Holy Synod condemn the teachings of Theophilos Kairis and defrock him.
- 1942: Greek units take part in the Battle of El Alamein.
- 1949: OTE is established - the Greek Public Sector is the only stockholder.
- 1974: Former Junta strongmen George Papadopoulos, Stylianos Pattakos and Nikolaos Makarezos are exiled to the island of Kea.
- 1995: The Municipality of Athens announces the imposition of fines for littering.
- 1901: I.M. Panagiotopoulos, writer and philosopher
- 1911: Antonis Migiakis, football player and coach.
- 1915: Vic Buckingham, one-time coach of Ethnikos Piraeus and Olympiakos.
- 1919: Manolis Andronikos, archaeologist
- 1925: Manos Hadjidakis, music composer, born in Xanthi
- 1939: Myron Anyfandakis, athlete (javelin throw)