Ptolemaida

From Phantis
Jump to: navigation, search
Statistics
Prefecture: Kozani
Province: Eordea (capital)
Location:
Latitude:
Longitude:

40.511/40°30'40" N lat.</br>21.6775/21°40'41" E long
Population: (2001)
 - Total
 - Density¹
 - Rank

 32,775

 -/km²</small>
Elevation:
 -lowest:
 -centre:
 -highest:

southern part
600 m(centre)
southwest
Number of communities: -
Postal code: 502 00
Area/distance code: 11-30-24630 (030-24630)-2 thru 5
Municipal code: 2915
Car designation: KZ
3-letter abbreviation: PTO Ptolemaida
Address of administration: 100 25 Martiou St.
Ptolemaida 502 00
Website: www.ptolemaida.gr

Ptolemaida (Greek, Modern: Πτολεμαΐδα, Ancient/Katharevousa: Πτολεμαΐς), older form: Ptolemais is a city in Northern Greece. It lies in Kozani prefecture, which is part of Western Macedonia. It is the seat of the province of Eordea. It is considered a highly industrial area. There are 4 power plants in this area producing 70% of Greece's electrical power. In its subsoil, there are huge amounts of lignite which is the raw material of the power plants. The plants are owned by the Public Power Corporation (DEI) , who is the major employer in the city. The plant was first tested by the prime minister of Greece that time Constantine Karamanlis. The other two are in Amyntaio in Florina prefecture and in Agios Dimitrios. The city is in the valley and the mountains of Askio to the southwest and Vermio to the northeast. It is located N of Kozani, E of Kastoria, S of Florina and SW of Edessa. Since the 1960s or the 1970s, GR-3/E65? is bypassed to the east.

History

The city is named after a soldier of Alexander the Great named Ptolemaeus. The previous name of the city was Kailaria (Καϊλάρια). Many places and cities in western Macedonia were named after soldiers of Alexander the Great.

The city in the Balkan Wars was liberated from Turkish rule on October 15, 1912 by then-Crown Prince King Constantine I. In the 1920s, the Pontic refugees from Asia Minor and from Pontos arrived during the Greco-Turkish War (1919 -1922) and the population exploded. After the Second World War, Ptolemaida and the rest of Greece experienced difficult times for a few years. In the 1950s, the city was rich in lignite mines and was the largest lignite producing area in all of Greece.

The streets are circled with the Central Square with its city hall in the middle. The square are surrounded by pine trees and several larger ones on the other side of the circle. The sidewalk is surrounded by the circle.

University

There is a high potential of a university being established by the state in the near future, which will raise the level of living in Ptolemaida.

Population

The population is about 48,000 and is mainly workers in power plants.

Persons

Football

Ptolemaida is rich in football talent and there was a legendary football club called "Eordaikos FC" (in greek "Εορδαϊκός"). Other teams includes AE Ptolemaidas FC.


Pontioi

A substantial proportion of Ptolemaida's residents come from Pontos. Pontians keep tradition such as dancing, traditional kitchen and some annual festivals that are taking place in regular intervals annually.

Historical population

Year Communal Population Change Municipal population Change
1981 22,109 - - -
1991 25,125 3,020/13.65% 32,775 -
2002 - - - -

Other

Ptolemaida has schools, lyceums, gymnasia, churches, banks, a post office, a train station (Larisa - Kozani - Florina) a police station, a water tower, and squares (plateies).

External links

See also: