Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 435: Byzantine emperor Theodosius II issues edict sending Patriarch Nestorius into exile in Egypt over his heretical beliefs.
- 1947: Maria Callas makes her first impressive appearance in the arena of Verona with "La Gioconda" by Ponchielli.
- 1949: The Battle of Grammos-Vitsi commences during the Greek Civil War.
- 1953: Communist Nikos Ploumbidis is sentenced to death for espionage.
- 1977: Archbishop Makarios III dies and is succeeded to the Presidency of Cyprus by Spyros Kyprianou
- 1984: The Revolutionary Organization 17 November fail in their attempt to assassinate US officer Robert Judd near Elliniko Air Base.
- 1989: A Shorts 330 of the Olympic Airways (now Olympic Airlines) crashes near Samos Airport; 31 passengers die.
- 2015: The Athens Stock Exchange ends its first session in five weeks with losses of 16.23%.
- 1996: Greece beats Brazil 91-72 during the Atlanta Olympic Games Basketball Tournament. Panagiotis Yiannakis, who participates for the last time with the national basketball team, scores 3 points and reaches 5291 in 351 games, being first in front of Panagiotis Fassoulas (2384 / 243) and Fanis Christodoulou (2255 / 219) in caps.
- 1996: Niki Bakogianni wins the silver medal in high jump with 2.03m at the Atlanta Olympics. Stefka Konstantinova of Bulgaria takes first place with 2.05m.
- 2000: The Mistral World Juniors Championships close at Korthio, Andros. Byron Kokkalakis wins 2 gold medals. Alexis Prappas takes third place. In the veterans' category (over 40 years old) Thanos Sakkas wins the gold medal.
- 2002: Greece wins its first medal in a European Aquatics Championships. The 4x200m free style team (Thanassis Economou, Nikos Xylouris, Spyros Gianniotis and Giannis Kokkodis) takes third place.
- 2006: Yiannis Drymonakos wins silver medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly at the European Swimming Championships in Budapest.
- 2006 Aris Grigoriadis captures silver medal in the men's 50-meter backstroke at the European Swimming Championships in Budapest.
- 2008: Greece defeat Lithuania 57-50 to win the men's under-18 European basketball championship.
- 1972: Yiannis Papaioannou, rebetika songwriter
- 1973: Elias Venezis, writer
- 1975: Andreas Empirikos, writer
- 1977: Archbishop Makarios III of Cyprus
- 1979: Angelos Terzakis, author
- 1994: Nikos Hadjikyriakos Gikas, painter
- 2009: Nikolaos Makarezos, member of the military junta that governed Greece (1967 - 1973)
- 2015: Nikos Tsachiridis, actor