Phantis:Selected anniversaries/May 22
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1453: Byzantines saw the lunar eclipse that occured while Constantinople was under siege as a bad omen. An old legend stated that Constantinople would never fall while the Moon was waxing in the sky.
- 1825: Laskarina Bouboulina was shot dead after a family dispute with in-laws.
- 1963: MP Grigoris Lambrakis was run down by a delivery truck driven by two right-wing extremists. He died five days later.
- 2006: The 19th century painting The Naughty Grandchild by Nikiforos Lytras became the most expensively piece of artwork by a Greek painter, going for 1.08 million euros at an auction at Sotheby's in London.
- Births: Ploutis Servas, Cypriot politician, founder of AKEL (1907), Fanis Christodoulou, basketball player (1965).
- Deaths: Laskarina Bouboulina (1825); Sir Herbert Richmond Palmer, colonial governor of Cyprus (1958).