- 527: Byzantine emperor Justin I makes his nephew, Justinian I, associate emperor.
- 1854: Tsamis Karatasos leads a revolt of Greeks in the Chalkidiki peninsula.
- 1900: Prince George is named High Commissioner of Crete.
- 1944: Leftist officers and troops of the Greek 1st Brigade revolt in Alexandria.
- 1947: King George II of Greece dies suddenly of a heart attack. He is succeeded by his brother King Paul.
- 1951: The Greek Parliament approves the law giving women the right to vote.
- 1955: The EOKA campaign begins in Cyprus with a proclamation from General "Digenis" and several acts of sabotage.
- 1993: A defendant is shot and wounded and his lawyer is killed, during a trial for negligent homicide. The culprit - who kills himself afterwards - is the father of the man whom the defendant killed in a traffic accident.
- 1912: Kostas Tsiklitiras breaks Ray Ewry's world record in the standing broad jump with 3.47m.
- 1962: Takis Loukanidis scores the first goal of his Panathinaikos career in a 5-0 rout of Proodeftiki.
- 1885: Attik, songwriter, composer
- 1946: Nikitas Kaklamanis, Mayor of Athens
- 1981: Antonis Fotsis, basketball player
- 1986: Nikos Kourtidis, weightlifter