- 1828: The Tsar declares war on the Ottoman Empire due to the latter's refusal to accept autonomy for Greece.
- 1837: Foundation of the University of Athens.
- 1924: Greece was proclaimed a Republic following the ousting of King George II -- Pavlos Kountouriotis was named President, the first ever for Greece.
- 1941: The Germans enter Katerini.
- 1989: It is discovered that Giorgos Koskotas hid $8 million of embezzled funds into secret Swiss bank accounts.
- 2013: Dimitris Koutsoumbas is announced as the new chairman of the Communist Party of Greece (KKE), succeeding Aleka Papariga.
- 1971: Panathinaikos are humbled 4-1 in Belgrade, by Red Star, in the first leg of the semi-final of the European Champions' Cup. The greens will overcome the deficit, two weeks later in the return match, to qualify for the final.
- 2013: Fans go amok at the OAKA Stadium after an own-goal by Mavroudis Bougaidis, in the 88th minute of play, puts AEK 1-0 down to Panthrakikos. The referee is forced to abandon the game, condemning AEK to certain relegation to the B Division for the first time in history.
- 1946: Michalis Sarris, Minister for the Economy of the Republic of Cyprus.
- 1981: Raul Bravo, footballer