Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1834: The trial for treason of Theodoros Kolokotronis and Dimitrios Plapoutas commences.
- 1941: Italian troops occupy Kerkyra.
- 1942: Future Foreign Minister Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza is arrested by the Italian occupation forces for resistance-related activities.
- 1997: In Paralimni, Cyprus, Greek Foreign Minister, Theodoros Pangalos, becomes godfather to the daughter of Tasos Isaak who was clubbed to death by Turkish occupation forces in Derynia.
- 1998: The Holy Synod of the Church of Greece elects Metropolitan Christodoulos as Archbishop of Athens and all Greece.
- 1926: PAOK is founded in Thessaloniki.
- 1971: Panathinaikos overturn a 1-4 loss in Belgrade against Crvena Zvezda with a 3-0 victory in Athens. The result enables PAO to qualify for the final of the European Champions' Cup in Wembley.
- 1972: Petros Galaktopoulos wins the gold medal, in Graeco-Roman wrestling (74 kgs), at the European Championships.
- 1974: Greece and World Champions Brazil play to a 0-0 draw before 100,000 spectators at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
- 1993: During the game against Panathinaikos, Panionios player, Boban Jankovic, disgusted with a decision by the referee, head butts the goal post and as a result remains paralysed.