- 1792: Ali Pasha attacks Souli but is repelled. Souliote leader, Lambros Tzavelas, is killed in the battle.
- 1872: Epameinondas Deligeorgis forms a government.
- 1903: Bulgarian nationalists revolt in Macedonia. This revolt would go down in history as the "Elias Day" ("Ilin Den") revolt as it took place on the feast day of the Prophet Elias.
- 1930: PM Eleftherios Venizelos inaugurates the underground station of Omonia Square.
- 1938: A strong earthquake (6.0 on the Richter scale) strikes Oropos in northern Attica, killing 18 persons.
- 1974: Turkey invades Cyprus.
- 1995: Turkish-Cypriot leader, Rauf Denktash, threatens to declare union of the militarily-occupied northern part of Cyprus with Turkey, should the Republic of Cyprus join the European Union.
- 1785: Mahmud II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire during the Greek War of Independence
- 1890: King George II
- 1914: Charilaos Florakis, politician
- 1931: Stylianos Lenas, EOKA fighter
- 1934: Aliki Vougiouklaki, actress
- 1792: Lambros Tzavelas, Souliote leader
- 1908: Dimitrios Vikelas, author, first President of the International Olympic Committee.
- 1928: Kostas Karyotakis, poet - a suicide
- 1970: Panagiotis Pipinelis, politician, Prime Minister
- 1989: Yiannis Tsarouchis, painter
- 2002: Michalis Kritikopoulos, footballer
- Prophet Elijah - Nameday for Elias/Ilias, Iliana.