- 718: The Arabs end the siege of Constantinople.
- 1261: A triumphant parade entering Constantinople is held, with emperor Michael VIII Palaeologus following the famous Hodegetria icon of the Virgin into the city.
- 1461: The Empire of Trebizond falls to the Ottoman Turks.
- 1858: The cornerstone is laid on the old Hellenic Parliament building
- 1907: Ordination in Constantinople of Fr. Raphael Morgan, "Priest-Apostolic" to America and the West Indies, and the first African-American Orthodox priest.
- 1926: The Communist Party of Cyprus is founded.
- 1940: The Greek war ship "Elli" is torpedoed by an Italian submarine off the coast of Tinos.
- 1974: Turkish troops overrun Ammochostos.
- 1988: Without firing a shot, November 17th members tie up a number of police officers at Vyronas, Athens and leave with cache of weapons and ammunition.
- 2010: His All-holiness Patriarch Bartholomew I officiates at a liturgy at the monastery of Panagia Soumela. The is the first liturgy at the historic monastery since 1923.
- 1876: Stylianos Gonatas, general, politician and Prime Minister.
- 1916: Takis Morakis, composer
- 1922: Giorgos Mouzakis, composer
- 1926: Kostis Stephanopoulos, politician and President of Greece
- 1945: Loukas Louka, athlete (shot put)
- 1966: Dimitris Papadopoulos, basketball player.
- 1980: Michael Katsidis, Greek-Australian boxer.