- 1821: The Greek War of Independence breaks out in Crete with an attack against Turkish positions near Loulo, Chania.
- 1873: Heinrich Schliemann discovers gold artifacts in the ancient site of Troy.
- 1916: Venizelos' followers organized a military movement in Thessaloniki, called the "Provisional Government of National Defence". There they founded a new state including Northern Greece and Aegean Islands.
- 1942: 50 Greeks are executed by German occupation troops in Heraklion, Crete.
- 1948: Operation Coronis is put into effect during the Greek Civil War by the national forces. Its aim is to drive out the Communists from the northern Pindus mountains.
- 1964: General Georgios Grivas returns to Cyprus during the 1963-1964 crisis.
- 1985: A TWA Boeing 727 is hijacked by Shiite extremists as it leaves Ellinikon International Airport. Among the hostages is singer Demis Roussos.
- 1980: Greece lose to Czechoslovakia 3-1 in the finals of Euro 1980.
- 1987: Greece defeat the USSR 103-101 to win the Eurobasket 1987. Nikos Galis leads the team in scoring with 40 points.
- 2005: Maria Papadopoulou sets a new Greek record in the women's 800m with a time of 1.59.79.
- 2008: Greece lose 1-0 to Russia and are eliminated from Euro 2008.
- 2014: Greece lose their WC 2014 opener against Colombia 3-0.
- 1870: Queen Sophie of Greece.
- 1963: Toni Savevski, football player and coach.
- 1991: Kostas Manolas, footballer