Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1858: Syros is connected to the Greek mainland by telegraph wire.
- 1912: Greeks, led by Alexander Romas, seize the hill of Driskos, at Ioannina, from the Turkish army.
- 1916: Greece declares war against Germany in WWI
- 1943: German occupying forces execute 118 hostages in Monodendri, Laconia.
- 1955: Cyprus governor Sir John Harding declares a state of emergency throughout the island.
- 1985: Officer Nikos Georgakopoulos is killed when a bomb explodes near a MAT bus by the Hilton Hotel in downtown Athens. The Revolutionary Organization 17 November assume responsibility.
- 1956: Georgios Roubanis wins the bronze medal in the pole vault at the Olympic Games of Melbourne.
- 2008: Panathinaikos defeat Inter 1-0, in San Siro, in a CL group stage game.
- 1906: Michail Hadjikonstantis, WW II hero
- 1926: Panos Gavalas, popular singer
- 1927: Nikos Foskolos, director and screenplay writer
- 1986: Kostas Filippidis, athlete (pole vaulter).